Redesign of customer correspondence: Crest Communications, Czech Republic
Project of the Year 2010: Redesign of written correspondence for Postovni sporitelna/Era
Agency: Crest Communications, Czech Republic
Client : Postovni sporitelna/Era
Project title: Redesign of customer correspondence
Owned by the Belgian KBC Bank NV Postovni sporitelna/Era is the number two retail bank in the Czech Republic, who found its customers didn’t really understand the letters they sent to them. With more than two million customers and 3,300 branches it was a huge problem, which the bank decided to solve and put the brief out to tender. Crest Communications won the business in open competition with some of the largest and most well known consultancy firms in the Czech Republic.
• To rewrite the bank’s standard letters so that the customers could understand them
• To unify design, content , including language, vocabulary, specific terms, names of the products, services etc
• To ensure that the standards would be upheld in future by staff through the production of a written handbook and staff training
• Rewrite 500 standard letters
• Prepare a handbook on ‘how to write correct letters’
• Train staff to be able to write the letters themselves in the future
To begin the project Crest commissioned qualitative market research with 300 customers and 100 competitor customers, All were men and women of 18+ years and located throughout all areas of the country.
Close cooperation with all relative departments was essential – marketing, sales, product design, legal and internal audit departments.
The main part of the project was delivered in three months and included:
• A handbook written together with rules for email and sms communications.
• Train more than 60 staff to write letters, emails and sms communication in the right way
• Texts for over 350 letters created
• Crest is still rewriting and redesigning the bank’s ‘customer friendly’ letters
• All bank letters now follow the rules as per the handbook researched and written by Crest
• 350 letters are now in everyday use
• 150 further letters will be rewritten and designed in 2012
• 80 employees were trained – heads of departments, key managers in telemarketing, client services and back office
• Crest changed the company’s previously ingrained corporate culture
• Crest achieved where twice before the mother company had tried to change its customer letters and failed
• Crest delivered the initial part of the project very quickly prompting the client to say, “A Big Four consultancy is doing the same project for a sister company. They are still at the beginning after six months, you have done this in three months.”